Wood demand represents volumes of roundwood timber (logs) and both direct (in-wood) and residual (chip and lumber mills) chips that have been delivered to wood-using facilities. We generally equate wood demand, as an action of delivery, with wood consumption – when delivered timber is being produced into final products (e.g. lumber, pulp, plywood, poles, OSB and other products).
Wood Demand Report is a quarterly publication on wood consumption in the US South (a sample is attached Here). The Report outlines the US macroeconomic situation and a 3-month outlook, captures wood demand volumes (roundwood and chips) and provides a statistically estimated wood consumption outlook for four primary timber products by US South region and each state within. The Report covers the following topics:
- Macroeconomic changes, including GDP, Housing starts, Unemployment, Softwood Framing Lumber prices, NBSP pulp price and diesel prices during the past 3 quarters. It also includes an outlook for the next 3-4 quarters based primarily on third-party public macro outlook or futures contract prices.
- Wood Demand Index for pine sawtimber and pine pulpwood demand in the US South. The Index is base-lined against average quaterly demand for each of these products during 2006 and compared to the Timber Mart-South Southwide Index for these products.
- Effective Capacity Utilization. Utilization is estimated for lumber and pole, plywood/veneer, OSB/panel and pulp/paper wood consuming facilities.
- Wood demand for pine grade roundwood producs (pine sawtimber and pine chip-n-saw) in the US South region and within each state in the current quarter and Outlook for the next 3 quarters.
- Wood demand for hardwood grade roundwood products (hardwood sawtimber and palletwood) in the US South region and within each state in the current quarter and Outlook for the next 3 quarters.
- Wood demand for pine pulpwood roundwood and direct (in-wood) chips in the US South region and within each state in the current quarter and Outlook for the next 3 quarters.
- Wood demand for hardwood pulpwood roundwood and direct (in-wood) chips in the US South region and within each state in the current quarter and Outlook for the next 3 quarters.
The trendline of wood demand for pine sawtimber in the US South and the corresponding timber stumpage outlines a close relationship beween stumpage prices and timber demand in the region. The data in the Report captures demand volumes by quarter and examplifies how each timber market (state) responds to fluctuations of economic conditions at the national level. These include economic growth (GDP), housing starts as a proxy for demand for lumber, and various market (state)-specific characteristics. Market-specific characteristics includes total volume of lumber capacity, capacity distribution (many smaller mills vs. a few large ones), end-product facility diversification – number and relative market share of pole and plywood facilities and available timber supply on the ground.
Contact: Alec Roach firstname.lastname@example.org; office : 706-542-5079; fax: 706-583-8287